[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Enhanced Meteor Activity?

In a message dated 4/5/01 10:07:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Dr. Tony
Phillips of NASA writes:

" . . . we're seeing (or hearing) what seems to be a meteor outbusr >on our
FM echo system.  Ping rates have soared from 30/hr to nearly
200/hr.  Do you have any idea if there are any active radiants right
now?  I don't see anything on the meteor calendar that would explain
this."

    Checking Gary Kronk's excellent Meteor Shower catalog, so far as I can
tell, (grasping at straws?) there are only two possible candidates:

Delta Pavonids . . . active from April 3 to 8.  Hourly rates have been
described
as " . . . variable," but they did reach a high of 10 in 1981.  Michael
Buhagiar of Perth, Australia is credited with their discovery and suggests an
association with comet Grigg-Mellish

April Virginids . . . active from April 5-10.  Very weak hourly rates.  A
Soviet study by E.I. Kazimirchak-Polonskaya and A.K. Terent'eva in 1973
demonstrated that members of this stream made fairly frequent approaches to
within 0.32 AU of Jupiter and that any meteors left in such an orbit would
not be plentiful.

                   -- joe rao