[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hot Meteorite

I know it would be rare, but in certain cases when bolides
explode in the lower atmosphere, it would seem to be possible
for larger fragments to reach the ground while still hot or at
least warm.  In order for it to explode, wouldn't the bolide
have to be significantly permeated by heat?  Also, the
fragments would fall only relatively short distances of a few
thousand meters rather than tens of kilometers.  Obviously one
other necessary combination of factors is that the event be
witnessed and the witnesses reach the impact site very rapidly
-- a rare but not impossible scenario, it seems to me.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html