[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hot Meteorite

In a message dated 4/13/01 5:54:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
prospector@sd.znet.com writes:

<< Most of the  scientists and many/most other list members believe the nice
scientific  explaination why meteorites are always cold, something to do with
the long  dark flight once they have been slowed down by the atmosphere. This
stance  also requires discounting the few reports by the common man that some
 meteorites have been hot to glowing red by people nearly hit by  meteorites,

The famous picture shows a woman (from Kentucky?) who was actually hit on the
hip by a meteorite when it came through her roof. The photo shows a doctor
displaying a huge bruise - not a burn. BTW, the house didn't burn either.

<< Here  are two posts I put up quoting a story in Century Magazine about a
meteorite that nearly hit a man in Mexico in 1885-87 and a web site  posted
by Ed Majden 8 December, who was the first scientist who took the
 side that some meteorites may be hot: [snip]  >>

Look what were taking as fact. What was the literacy rate in Mexico in 1885?
No offence to these people, but I think they just didn't know what they were
seeing.  Some saw the bright streak in the sky, maybe even beginning to
fragment; immediately associated it with fire, which is hot. Then told and
retold the story of the burning rock.
We all know what happens when a good story gets passed around.

There was people interviewed in Mexico after the Allende fall. They may or
may not be educated, but the  person stated that he thought someone was in
the bushes throwing rocks at him. Thats it, nice and simple. The witness
never mentioned anything about the rocks burning or setting fire to anything.

Even today, as Fireball archivist for NAMN, I see many fireball reports where
people state (paraphrasing) - "I saw this burning object with sparks shooting
out of it, AND it went right over my head." Well, no. It was overhead, but at
an altitude of 30 to 50 miles. People are not used to seeing these things and
have to associate with something they know. Doesn't make their sighting a
fact.

We are always going to have believers and disbelievers, as I mentioned in a
falls in my front yards and ignites my lawn...

Kevin K