[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hot Meteorite

My message about bolides exploding in the lower atmosphere and
fragments possibly being warm was a summary of news reports
from March 22, 1998, and thereafter regarding a daylight bolide
that was witnessed by people in and around Monahans, Midland,
Odessa, and Crane, Texas, USA (an area of possibly 160 to 250
square kilometers).  People saw the fireball and a smoke trail,
and they heard sonic booms, an explosion, and even the rushing
or whistling sound of one fragment in the air just before it
hit the ground within 20-30 meters of eyewitnesses who picked
it up within seconds of impact and reported that it was warm.
(A second, larger fragment was found the next morning only 250
meters from the first.)  Here are two Web pages with quite a
few varied news stories about the event and related topics:

http://wwwdot caverdot net/meteor1.htm
http://wwwdot caverdot net/meteor2.htm

Hoping for good weather for all for the Lyrids maximum!
(We've been having mostly unfavorable weather for weeks.)

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
Chronological list of more than 100 radiants:
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/aka-date.htm