[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lyrid fireball?

In a message dated 4/17/01 12:33:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu writes:

<< The meteor was at least
 as big as my fist and brilliant orange. It streaked across
 the sky like a giant bottle rocket for about three seconds
 from east to west in the northern sky." >>

Here is a comment from an old (1985) issue of "Astronomical Calendar" by Guy
Ottewell.  This is from the "Meteors" section (before it was taken over by
Alastair McBeath):

April 15-30:  "April Fireballs" -- an annual sparse irregular shower of
bright meteors some of which reach Earth as meteorites.  The radiant is not
determined; they come from the region of the ecliptic and equator between 20h
and 24h (Capricornus, Aquarius, Pegasus, etc.).

    To add to this, I myself also recall seeing a reference to these type of
fireball meteors -- and an attempt to tie two shadow-casting/meteorite
dropping fireballs in April 1962 and 1969 together -- in (I believe) the
September 1970 Sky & Telescope and the April 1971 Natural History magazines.

-- joe rao