[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) comet LINEAR 2001 A2 orbit

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:18:53 +0200 (MEST)
From: Rainer Arlt <rarlt@aipdot de>
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) comet LINEAR 2001 A2 orbit + potential meteor
shower

Mostly snipped

>They use various methods to alter the orbit of the comet to obtain
>an intersection with the orbit of the Earth. The D-DISC. gives
>the similarity between original and wltered orbit and is nice if
>small (<0.1).
>Look at the ascending node:
>Very small D-DISC. with radiant
>  alpha=107  (7h08m),   delta=-22,   v_inf = 32 km/s
> on July 17/18
>Unfortunately, the shower is a totally daytime one. Let's wait for
>the forward-scatter radio results...

True for northern hemisphere observers.
However, from my location at 34S, the radiant will be 15 degrees above my
horizon at the start of astronomical twilight.
Therefore, a potential shower for southern hemisphere meteor observers with
the radiant located in Canis Major.

Thanks Rainer for the info.

Cheers,
Michael Mattiazzo