[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Big Island observing sites (was Comet A2 outburst status).

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Mike Linnolt wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2001, at 17:07, janfries@juno.com wrote:
>
> > I'm going to be on Kona from April 6 through 9.  Any suggestions as to a
> > good dark sky site if you don't climb the volcano?  And good times for
> > viewing?

> Regarding where to observe in Kona. I am not as familiar with that
> island as some others. However, if you want the best view, bar
> none, take the 1.5 hour drive from Kailua town up to the Onizuka
> visitors center at the 9000' level of Mauna Kea.

A bit late... but I was away from a terminal for three weeks.

Mike mentioned the Onizuka Center at Hale Pohaku.  I do occasionally
observe from there, but there are lights from the observers' hostel
(see an example picture taken under moonlit conditions).

http://www.jach.hawaiidot edu/JACpublic/JCMT/About_JCMT/Gallery/Sunset/p4080087_m.jpg
(there are some pretty pictures in the level above).

There are cars coming and going with headlights on even into the
Center's car park, and the car park is on a slope (not good for
telescopic observing).  If there is no cloud in the saddle, I prefer the
Mauna Loa road just on the east side of the Mauna Kea road.  It's
warmer, being only at 6400', it's flat, there is less obscuration of the
northern sky for visual observers, it's closer, and you don't have to
negotiate the tricky climb and descent to and from Hale Pohaku.  Visual
observers would need a screen to shield headlights for the occasional
vehicle heading west.  My car plays this role during telescopic
observing.  My NELM is typically +7.45 from there.

Malcolm