[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lyrid obs. LANMA 21-22 April 2001

Hi folks,

Below a table with my Lyrid observations of last night. I observed for some
2.5 hours under conditions that were not optimal although reasonable enough
to do some work. There was a haze of the kind we call "gup" in Dutch
observer's jargon, most notably at lower southern elevations. Perhaps due to
the conditions, this night actually wasn't that impressive, I've experienced
better Lyrid sessions in the past, e.g. 1995 and 1996. Still, with 57
meteors of which 27 were Lyrids last night, why should I complain... (it is
probably because I am Dutch and Dutchmen always complain...).
Best meteor of the night was a magnitude 0 Lyrid which appeared in southern
Ophiuchus at 1:52:36 UTC.
During the second hour of my session, a blackbird in a nearby tree started
to forcefully fill the nightsky with it's song and continued to do so very
persistently for over one hour. Listening back my tapes last hour, dull
meteor data thus were enlivened with a bright birdsong at the background.
Amazing: I wonder what is going on in the tiny head of such a creature when
they start doing such things in the middle of a dark and damp night. It
clearly got onto the nerves of the cat of my neighbours too, I could hear
it's little collar bell tinkle while it ran around outside in anxiety,
circling the source of the noise. Probably dreaming of a good blackbird
breakfast...

- Marco Langbroek

Obs: Marco Langbroek    -      LANMA
Date: April 21-22, 2001
Loc.: Voorschoten, the Netherlands, 52d 07' N, 4d 28' E

UTC          Teff    Lm    Lyr  mVir   Spo
0:25-1:20   0.85   6.0      7      3       7
1:20-2:11   0.85   6.0     12     2       7
2:11-3:00   0.77   5.8      8      0       11

TOTAL     2.47  <5.9>  27     5       25        57

strm/mag              0    +1    +2    +3    +4    +5     <m>
Sporadics             0     0      4      11    6      4        3.4
Lyrids                   1     1      5       6    11     3        3.26
mu Virginids          0     0     1       2      2      0        3.20

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek/
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---