[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lyrids from East Georgia

      Cloud conditions did not seem very favorable here throughout the
day saturday and improved only briefly just before and during the first
hour of radiant-rise.  A thin layer of haze kept LM's down in the +5.5
range, then at 2:00 AM local time, just as I
wasattempting to begin my "official" observation, thin clouds moved in
in and the haze thickened, bringing my LM's well below +5.0.  A few
broad patches of clearing did move in waves acoss my field of view, but
the overall observing conditions were dismal
       The sporadics I saw earlier in the evening competed well with the
number of Lyrids seen.  We were treated to a humble scattering of Lyrids
but the poor LM's and scattered cloud cover made useful observations
impossible.  I gave up at 4:00 local time, having seen six Lyrids and
perhaps ten SPO's over a four hour period.  No exceptionally bright
shower members were seen, the highlight of the evening being a sporadic
that came from the direction of Serpens, headed towards Lyra.  It first
appeared as a feeble but very fast 4rth magnitude meteor.  It
disappeared, only to flare up again to +1 as it approached Lyra, at
which time it was seen by our entire camping party.
        Ah well, not many meteors and no report to post ...this was my
second year in a row the Lyrids were robbed by partly cloudy skies.
There's always next year!

Kim Youmans