[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NWM2001Apr21/22 Lyrids poor in Florida

My first observing session since the Quadrantids didn't net many meteors.
2001 Apr 21/22 would have been shortly after the predicted Lyrid peak, but
1:40 hours (1.67 hr) of observing (220 - 400 EDT,  626 - 800 UT) got only 15
meteors total in sky LM 6.7.  There were 7 Lyrids, 1 Eta Aquarid, and 7
sporadics.  I had a casual +6m Lyrid very near the radiant while setting up.
The first Lyrid made me wait until 249 EDT  (649 UT) but it proved to be the
best one anybody has reported : an intense orange  -4m with a 60-second
train mostly in Ophiuchus.  Path length was 30 degrees, duration 2 seconds,
and the train assumed a gentle S-shape after 30 seconds.  Joan was with me
but had just started a short boredom-induced nap before the bright one.
Shortly after 300 EDT she reemerged in time to see an earth-grazing  +3m Eta
Aquarid go 60 degrees in only 2 seconds, passing overhead without any train.
Magnitudes for the other 6 Lyrids in the range 0m to +5m were 1,0,0,1,1,3.
That is the faintest I have seen in a good many years.  Clouds moved in at
400 EDT so we were more than happy to quit and leave.  Joan saw 11 meteors
total, including one  +5m that I also saw.  Once in a while she can see a
faint meteor.

The night was rather cool for the late date, in the mid-60'sF out there with
a nice breeze and just a handful of mosquitoes.  There was some smoke and
haze around due to the large number of wildfires -- quite typical for the
bone-dry spring period but running worse than usual this year.  Two nights
earlier would have been much better but with temps in the mid-40'sF.  Any
cool weather we get here on, below 85F for the high or 65F for the low,  is
a real gift.

We saw Scorpio with the flaring middle claw star in dark sky for the first
time.  Quite a novelty to see something I have known since 1958 or so now
appearing altered.

Ever since the 1982 Lyrid ministorm I have found the Lyrids to be
predominately weak.  I haven't seen them every year, but when I have there
hasn't been much going on.  Before 1982 the Lyrids were exceptionally
reliable at 15/hr.  Only 1996 was a recent exception.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society