[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: trains on FM

Hi
FM reception off trains sounds like when travelling in a car. The signal
fluctuates rapidly. The time in which a train lasts varies heaps - from just
a few seconds to up to 4 mins & beyond. The longest I've heard so far is
3:47. Stereo reception is possible.

A lot of trains appear suddenly with best reception at the start - then
gradually fade. Others will fade up gradually - then peak - then fade rather
quickly. With the FM band being so crowded in the Nothern Hemisphere you
will often pick up multiple FM stations off one train. Here in Oz, One
frequency would usually only be occupied by one high power FM station, thus
I usually only note a single FM station - with a clear signal.

- Cheers Geoff