[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IT IS INTERESTING!

Sergey Shanov just commented on the possibility of
SW3id-meteors:

>IT IS INTERESTING!

YES, definitely it is!

>The considered, that with this comet is bound
feeble meteoric shower Tau
>Herculid, usually observable in the beginning of
June. However, after 1930,

One problem is that the annual activity appears to
be very very weak, and the
evidence for the annual activity is quite weak.
The comet and also its dust trails are very much
subject to perturbations,
which spreads the area of possible radiants, in
any case the name
HERCULIDS is very confusing, since the predicted
radiants of dust trail
encounters happening in the years 1936 1984, 2001,
2011, 2017 and 2022 are
scattered across a vast portion of the sky in the
Boo/Cvn area, as also
indicated in Sergey's posting. Therefore one
should perhaps avoid
the expression Tau Herculids for the SW3-ids.

>In 1995, during the previous returning to the Sun
73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3
>has undergone some flashouts and fragmented, with
than the probable raise of
>activity meteoric shower can be bound.

Photgraphic work on the comet by Michael Jaeger
indicates that considerable
amounts of dust may have been ejected in 1995. I
did some dust trail modelling
of this comet. We encounter the 1995 dust trail on
2022-05-31.20 UT,
but unfortunately I found no earlier passages
close to this trail.

There are more encounters with dust trails, which
have been released at
other (probably more normal) returns of the comet,
in 2011 and 2017. There
is SOME chance that we witness some activity THIS
YEAR (2001-05-30.41 UT)
from a radiant at 219/37 deg when we encounter the
1941 dust trail.

We are just trying  to prepare a
three-author-paper for WGN on the possible
SW3-ids.
Rainer Arlt will comment on the evidence for
previous activity based on archive
visual and video data, Michael Jaeger's
high-quality comet photographs from 1990,
1995 and 2001 give insight into the anatomy of a
comet fragmentation during last
decade. I will present the dust trail data
mentioned and discuss the chances for
seeing SW3-ids in the coming decades.

Hartwig Luethen

------- End of Forwarded Message