To: don@astro.cornelldot edu
Subject: Satellite Ephemeris Service Update
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:03:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Don Barry <don@astro.cornelldot edu>

Dear Gentle Ephemeris Users,

I write you because at some point in the past we have exchanged
correspondence concerning the Earth Satellite Ephemeris Service.

As many of you know, 18 months ago this service was removed peremptorily
by Georgia State University with no warning to me, in an apparently retaliatory
move for my open criticism of aspects of the astronomy department
there, where I earned my Ph.D. some years ago.

Due to the press of other commitments, it has taken me some time to
resurrect this service.  Since many have asked, and I have not made
an appropriate index, I am sending this to all of you, my former
correspondents.  I apologize to those who no longer have an interest
in the service -- this is a one time mailing.

The preliminary version of the new service, with an improved user
interface, is available at:

   http://trotsky.yi.org/~don/sat.cgi

Of particular note, it now uses a cookie to store your site information, so
you needn't enter this each time.

Some features are still not implemented -- there is a button for morning and/or
evening passes, but currently both are always generated.

I'll also make the default to generate for the present day, but for now you
must enter that yourself.

Please note that there is also a location on the form to leave an email
address should you wish to be informed of changes in the web service.  I
have no plans to move it to another machine (this one resides in my basement
and is therefore directly under my control) but its domain registration may
very well change.

Comments are welcome, though be aware that this is a small hobby and it may
take some time for me to incorporate your suggestions.

Cheers,

Don Barry,
Cornell Astronomy

------- End of Forwarded Message