[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid maximum best US area?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Martin" <bonnyton@ednet.codot uk>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 6:43 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Leonid maximum best US area?

> Some of us from our Scottish astronomical society are considering the
> possibilty of coming over to the US for the Leonid maximum.
> We would be very grateful for any advice on where to go to go.
> Nick
> Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 7EW ,Scotland, UK.
>  Latitude 55 24'56" Longitude 4 26' 00".

Forecast US Maximum is 10:00 UTC, correct?

I'd go to Southern California/Desert Southwest, I guess..dot best chance of clear
skies and not quite the potential for brutal cold you'd get further N (Though
the desert IS very cold at night in the winter.)

Get a rental car and a laptop to look at computer weather models and satellite
cloud shots on the internet, from your hotel room, and be ready to drive to
clear skies, have a number of possible sites picked out. You can drive enormous
distances on the Interstates if you have to.

Not flying to Australia? I presume it's far cheaper coming here :-)

John Krempasky