[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) eta Lyrids?

----- Original Message -----
From: <crawl@zoom.codot uk>
Subject: (meteorobs) eta Lyrids?

> When? Where?  Too much moon?

Hi John,

eta Lyrids (IRAS-Araki-Alcockids):

Radiant: RA 288, dec. +44
velocity: 44 km/s (like Quadrantids)
Maximum: theoretical (node comet) at solar longitude 49.1 (2000.0)
This year: May 9, 17h UTC

The stream is observable all night in the Northern hemisphere, with best
conditions (highest radiant altitude) towards the morning.

And yes: the moon is a nuisance this year..dot it's almost full. So this is not
the best year to look for these meteors.

Our data (mostly Koen Miskotte's and me) around the maximum date of the last
years suggest a maximum ZHR in the order of 3.5. Little is known about the
ful activity period, I suggest it might perhaps be something in the order of
a week in total. We are still in the process of gathering enough data to
make an activity curve. All we know is that the stream exists.
As you know, there are 4 orbits of this stream in the IAU database.

- Marco Langbroek