[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Eta Aquarids from East Georgia

        I arose at 4:45 AM local time saturday hoping to catch a brief
one-hour glimpse of this year's Eta Aquarids.  I was out in the backyard
under the stars by 5:00 AM but as usual, quite disappointed in my
limiting magnitudes from home -- the setting full moon did not help in
this respect.  Worse, my timing was a bit off, as twilight was quite
evident by 5:40 local time, giving me less than the hour I'd hoped for.
I was just able to see n-Delphinus with averted vision but since I han't
planned on any formal observation I didn't bother with doing any actual
star counts for an accurate LM determination.  I'd say my LM was just
under +5.0.
        Still, I was treated to five well-spaced-out ETA's and one
sporadic for my effort in 40 minutes observing time.   All but one of
the ETA's exhibited trains and the nicest was a 0 magnitude
yellow-orange beauty with about a fifteen-degree path length.  Even
above the glow of the city lights and between the trees, I was able to
make out the water-jar asterism and thus had accurate shower association
with all the observed meteors.
        It is also very interesting to read the radio observer's reports
that strong late, post peak activity for the shower continues this
year.  This is apparently an affirmation of what experienced visual
obervers have stated in this forum for the past few years...the ETA's
can put on a strong, if not stronger, showing a day or two after the
conventional peak date of May 5th.

Kim Youmans