[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: How fast do Meteors go?

The log to the base e is normally written ln and to the base 10, log.  The
M(m) means magnitude as a function of mass. I am just guessing that V[inf] is
a constant which I assume is also the escape speed from the earth and possibly
the solar system for good measure 8-).  The h, I presume, is the compliment of
the elevation angle of the radiant.  So to be more specific the function
should be written as a function of the two variables as M(m,h).
     The equation should be read, if I am correct as;
The log to the base 10 of the magnitude of a meteor of mass m is 2.98, minus
0.44 times the mass of the meteor, minus 3.98 times the log to the base 10 of
the capture velocity from infinity, minus .67 times the log to the base 10 of
the sine of the zenith distance of the radiant.
These notes of "to the base 10" are not normally included  since that is
usually assumed. If it had been to the base e the notation would be "natural
logarithm".

You know, in my old age I make so many dumb statements that they no longer
embarass me.  All I can say is I hope the above is all correct though the
consequence of error would be no great disaster. 8-)

Lew Gramer wrote:

> > log M(m)=2.98-0.44m-3.89log V[inf]-0.67log(sin h)
>
> Thanks for posting that, Marco! Just to make sure that I understand that
> equation, should it be read as follows, or did I mess up my transcription?
>
> "the log of m with base M" is equal to:
>
> 2.98 - [ 0.44 x m ]  -  [ 3.89 x log(Vinf) ]  -  [ 0.67 x log(sin(h)) ]
>
> Maybe there's a reference for this formula, like the IMO Visual Handbook,
> or possibly D.W.R. McKinley? Thanks again for the informative post!
>
> Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: