[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 68/2001 - 18 May 2001"

In regards to the hypothetical catastrophic Taurid meteor storms, Karl Antier
asked:

>Are there any evidences of such meteorites hitting the Earth?

Probably not, as any meteorite from a comet would be too friable to exist
on Earth now if it were several thousand years old.

>And does anyone know the size of  comet P/Encke nucleus?

I don't know, but it is very much bigger than Tunguska size.

>And are there any testimonies of such a display in the sky (which must have
>been visible all other the world....

There may be a reference in the book Rouge Asteroids and Doomsday Comets, but
I don't know. Any written history that old is sketchy at best.

GWG (George W. Gliba)