[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) nebulous meteors

Hello folks,

I did not follow the thread, but when I read the subject "nebulous
meteors" some of the "dust ball" meteors we observe on video came into my
mind.

As you know, we have a network of image intensified video cameras
recording meteors every clear night. Currently we detect about 3000
meteors a month (mainly thanks to Rob McNaught :-). Most of them look
pretty normal, they have a "solid" glore and sometimes some wake or
persistent train. However, a small percentage of meteors (a guess: 1..3%)
seems to be especially fragile. They look like little "dust balls" that
slowly desintegrate in the atmosphere.

In the last few nights there have been several of them. It's difficult to
properly describe their appearance, so I created animated gifs of two
"normal" and two "nebulous" meteors. You can have a look at them at the
temporary URL http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachendot de/Colleagues/molau/temp
However, be aware that the files are very large (2..3 MB each).

Cheers,
Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *