[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Opik double count

Chris,

Your concerns about possible conflicts with the premise of the double count method by adding mag. estimates are a valid concern.
Between now and the Leonids you might try to build you database for your volunteers. Try to get enough hours in during the next month or so to feel comfortable about each observers perception coefficient. You could then introduce a control where half of your group does double count only and the other half also has to log magnitudes. If their coefficients drop across the board you will have answered your question empirically before the Leonids come up.
From my experience I would hypothesize the that coefficient should drop some (How much, I have no idea). Having the observers isolated on the longest practical umbilicals would minimize peer influence if they end up with verbal input on the magnitudes.

Tom