[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Too many sporadics?

Thursday, May 24

During each of the last two evenings I've seen three meteors, in
the first 90-120 minutes after dark (beginning roughly 2:30 on
May 23 and 24 UTC).  These were casual sightings during satellite
observing, from a suburban site (beautiful weather each evening).
On both of these evenings two of the meteors seemed to come down
more or less from near the zenith and were fast.  One crossed
the 6 deg. field of view of my 10x50 binoculars in a fast
fraction of a second.  None of them have been brighter than +2.
The location was 30.315 north, 97.866 west.  This just seemed
like it might be just a little bit too much meteor activity for
the time of night and time of year.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html