[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Telescopic plotting? (Re: TONIGHT: Meteors from Schwassmann-Wachmann 3)

This sounds like an excellent application for Telescopic Plotting techniques!
I say this because (a) the radiant position is fairly well-known, allowing a
more reliable selection of TM plotting charts; (b) the stream's Vinf is very
low, indicating (I assume?) a likely preponderance of fainter meteors; and,
(c) there is some fear the shower will be lost in "Sporadic pollution", and
so there are corresponding concerns about observer bias, large error-bars in
both path and velocity also become more significant, etc., etc.

Of course, legislating against Telescope observation are a probable low rate
if any shower is detected, and bright moonlight during "radiant" culmination.

Still, in the unlikely event of clear skies tonight in my area, I for one hope
to do an hour or two of TM. Are there recommended times, and/or particular TM
plotting charts to use, to increase our chances of detecting this stream?

(From a quick examination of the possible radiant position, it seems that the
IMO TM charts 84, and either 127 or 128, may be one appropriate pair to use?)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer, GRALE

Follow-Ups: References: