[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [IMO-News] Telescopic plotting? (Re: TONIGHT: Meteors from Schwassmann-Wachmann 3)

First of all I'd like to thank Lew for making my pitch while I was
recovering this morning from an observing run on Mauna Kea.

Telescopic (and video) techniques will let us locate the radiant if this
shower actually occurs, and so complements visual observing
which can provide a ZHR/flux curve.

The low speed does mean the telescopic fields can be further from the
radiant, and thus allow for some error in the location of the radiant.
Further, the observed rate will be higher.  I'd go for charts

   85 (16h48m,+32d) [or 84 (15h22m,+32d)], 106 (12h20m,+20.5d), and
   160 (14h48m,+1d).

Two other sets are possible:

   66 (14h25m,+48d), 125 (12h48m,+13d), and 148 (15h48m,+4.5);
   64 (13h15m,+40.5d), 65 (13h25m,+3), and 106 (12h20m,+20.5d).

While not an ideal geometry, the last set is already available from my
ftp site (ftp://ftp.jach.hawaiidot edu/pub/ukirt/mjc/charts) for sets A, B,
and D; and at Lew Gramer's meteorobs site
(http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/telescopic.html#who).
Given the short notice and current time that might be the best bet. It
will take me a couple of hours to pick up and scan the first-choice set
of charts, which I'll place on my ftp site.  Lew's site describes which
chart set is suitable for your telescope/binocular aperture.  It also
has links to other pages on the telescopic observing.

Observers should choose a set, and cycle around these, switching fields
every 20 to 30 minutes and plotting in the normal fashion.

Slowing-moving telscopic meteors are exciting to watch, because you can
get a unrushed close-up view of the head.

Clear skies and good luck,

Malcolm Currie
tele@imodot net

Follow-Ups: References: