[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Mars

G'Day All

At 11:42 PM 5/29/01 EDT, Terri wrote:
>I  recently read that Mars will be in great view from now through the
month of
> I live on Long Island in New York, not the greatest spot for checking
>out the stars due to the big city lights, but my son is going camping this
>upcoming weekend and I was hoping someone could help me explain to him how
> He will be in perfect viewing area and I plan to make
> I think I read if you look in the southern sky it will be the brightest
star with a tint of orange

From New York, If you look to the South-east, rather than south, Mars will
be two handspans (a handspan the distance covered by your hand when held
out at arms length) above the South-eastern horizon (9 handspans to the
right of due east), at 11.00 pm (no correction for daylight saving). Mars
is the most obvious and brightest object in that region of the sky, with a
definite orange tint.

For your son, Mars's location depends on how far wst he is camping. This
dosn't really affect where Mars is in relation to the south-eastern
location too much (unless he's camping in Candad or Mexico), but does
affect when Mars will rise. Mars rises later the further west you go (witin
a given time zone).

Hope that helps.
Cheers! Ian