[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Cloudy fireball detections!

Ed Majden asked:
>Has anyone ever recorded a short duration, (a few second), increase in
>sky brightness during a period when skies are overcast? A very bright
>fireball above a cloud layer should create such a phenomenon I would think!

Note sure what you mean by "recorded", Ed - but I have definitely SEEN (and
recorded for reporting) what you describe. The most memorable occasion for me,
of course, was the 1998 Leonid fireball storm, seen through *mostly cloudy*
skies with Norm McLeod and his lovely wife in Lehigh Acres FL USA. Some of
these were nearby to and simultaneous with (and so presumably also caused by)
very bright fireballs observed through clear holes in the clouds.

What specifically were you interested in finding out about such events?

Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: