[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re June Bootids [was xi Draconids on meteorobs]

Ed Cannon wrote :

>In following up on some things, I also found via Google that in
>at least a few places online the June Bootids are called the June Draconids.

There also known as the iota Draconids as well, if I remember rightly
(anybody feel free to correct me), and again if memory is still working,
that name originally was from the radar surveys of Z Sekanina et al in the
sixties.  Not to mention them also being called the Pons-Winneckids, but
then that gets confusing with P/SW3 and the tau Herculids...  ...anyway,
Kronk mentions these in his online meteor shower pages :-
http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/june_bootids.html

Many showers have more than one name/ID in current usage, but this one may
be the record holder...????

Incidentally, wrt xi Draconids and possible Jupiter family comet
progenitor... ...once you get orbits in the plane of the ecliptic with
aphelia out by Jupiter you can almost match any fitting shower orbit to any
Jupiter family comet, in other words Jupiter's gravity causes big fat
selection effects.  Or put another way, using something like Drummond's D'
criterion of orbital similarity many "Jupiter Family" comets can be shown
to be very similar in orbital characteristics, but folk'd more likely
expect this to be due to them having evolved to this state via interactions
with Jupiter than to be bits of one big primordial comet.

Cheers

John

JG, UK