[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AAVSO Magnitude Estimation Training on the Web

"AAVSO" is the American Association of Variable Star Observers:
    http://www.aavso.org

AAVSO is really a world-wide organization rather than a regional one, in spite
of its name. AAVSO is actually a "sister" organization of the American Meteor
Society, which many 'meteorobs' readers will be familiar with:
    http://www.amsmeteors.org

In any case, I mention the AAVSO to readers today, as I've just discovered a
wonderful, simple training presentation on their Web site. This presentation
covers the mechanics for how to make a variable-star brightness estimate, but
also makes a point to explain the basic concepts of data gathering and data
reliability, in a way which any reader can readily understand! Naturally this
is of interest to amateur meteor observers - regarding both the "basic skill"
of meteor magnitude estimate, but even more importantly, the basic concepts
AND fundamental importance of amateur science!

Here's the presentation. It's titled "Variable Star Telescope Simulator":

    http://www.aavso.org/powerpoint/estimate.html

Enjoy the slides, and let's hear your feedback here on 'meteorobs'!
Lew Gramer
(asst. outreach coordinator, North American Meteor Network)