[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Limiting magnitude question

Hello Jure,
                Now that you've asked this you've brought some other
questions to mind. (For this person at least.)  What exactly do we mean by
"seeing" or saying that we can "see" a star?   With an M object this would be
a little different.  With a point source such as a star it becomes a question
of (for me) "can I REALLY see that star or not"? This effect for me at least
is similar although not the same as a meteor that is not in my direct field
of view and causes me to think "did I really see that or not"?  (Now that I
think about it, maybe this is why I failed to record (write down) the LM the
last few times I was "out").

If someone reports LM 7.5 from say Long Key National Park
and another observer reports LM 8.2 from NSP, does this mean the second
location really has 0.7 magnitude better skies?

Excuse me for having to ask Jure, but are we talking about two different
people in the above example?

                         Long trains.

                                               Jeff W