[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Limiting magnitude question

In a message dated 6/14/01 4:42:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Meteorrr@cs.com
writes:

<<                 Now that you've asked this you've brought some other
 questions to mind. (For this person at least.)  What exactly do we mean by
 "seeing" or saying that we can "see" a star?   With an M object this would
be
 a little different.  With a point source such as a star it becomes a
question
 of (for me) "can I REALLY see that star or not"? This effect for me at least
 is similar although not the same as a meteor that is not in my direct field
 of view and causes me to think "did I really see that or not"?  (Now that I
 think about it, maybe this is why I failed to record (write down) the LM the
 last few times I was "out").       >>

Using the IMO LM areas you are to look right at the area. It's just a case of
how many stars you see - if it's 6, it's 6. If it's 9, it's 9. You either see
them or you don't.  I usually take 2 or 3 areas for an LM check. It may give
a better overall perception of the sky.

<< If someone reports LM 7.5 from say Long Key National Park
 and another observer reports LM 8.2 from NSP, does this mean the second
 location really has 0.7 magnitude better skies?
  Excuse me for having to ask Jure, but are we talking about two different
 people in the above example? >>

I took it as 2 different people.  Two different people can get 2 different
LM's from the same area. I often observe with W. Hally and my skies are
typically darker than his, and we are just sitting 10ft. away or less from
each other.  Yes, it's subjective, but thats just the nature of the beast. It
all gets worked out in the final computation anyway.

Kevin K