[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Odd "vortex" cloud photo

At 04:53 PM 6/15/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Richard:
>    I forwarded your photo to the MIAC list and received this spectacular
>image back from Professor John Rucklidge, University of Toronto.
>Ed Majden
>

>Subject: [MIAC-L] Re: Odd "vortex" cloud photo
>

>> Ed's clouds reminded me of a photo that was circulating on the internet
>> recently, which some of you may not have seen.  I have posted it at
>> http://home.istardot ca/~astimex/wowboom.jpg.  The following is a
>ratherflorid
>> description of the events surrounding it, but do not be put off by it -
>take a
>> look.

I was just looking at a video movie clip on the network server at work this
afternoon of an event that looked exactly like this description: I suspect
it was the same one. There's actually two clips. The slower one has the
A/F18 flying between the carrier and a destroyer, followed by ripples on
the ocean surface, obviously much slower than the faster one. To the right
of the clip, one can also see someone with a still camera taking pictures.
I bet that someone is the intrepid photographer mentioned below. The second
clip shows the A/F18 breaking the sound barrier then speeding away from the
ships. You can, indeed, see the cloud of vapor disappear at the critical
instant; but it reforms a split second later after the plane has passed the
ship, following in the plane's wake.

SteveH