[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June Lyrids, Xi-Draconids and possible "phi-Herculids"?

Hi all !

I  was able to observe 1.22 h Teff this night, trying to monitor the
June Lyrids and Xi-Draconids. No member of both shower were seen. My
first meteor hit exactly the radiant in Lyra, but it was really to fast
(30°/s) to be a June Lyrid. Another meteor was a good candidate for the
Xi-Draconids; it had the good speed (3°/s), but it was a very short one,
that I think was too far from the radiant ( 20° ) to be a Xi-Draconid.
In fact, I was sending this mail because as I traced all my meteors back
this morning, I realized that four of them was coming from a same point
of the sky, very, very close from the star phi Herculis. Two of them had
very short path (including the meteor first thought as being a
Xi-Draconid), and slow motion ( 3 and 6 °/s) . The two others were more
far from the possible radiant and really faster.
I found that this possible radiant lied at the coordinates :
RA = 17h20' (260°)
D = +37°
The velocity of these meteors would be very high.
Has anyone ever heard of this possible radiant? Has anyone observed
meteors from this source? Have I saw an outburst of an unknown radiant ?

Thanks of advance for answering these questions. I'll try to monitor the
sky the next nights, if I'm not too tired...

Clear skies !

Karl. ( Saint-Lô, France : 1°06'W / 49°07'1.22"N )

Observed Showers and Counts

      Shower   Radiant    Plottings      Countings      Others
      SAG     272ø -22ø         0              0            0
      JLY      277ø  34ø         0               0            0
      SPO                              0             10            0
      TOT                              0             10            0

      Magnitude distribution

      Show. -5   -4   -3   -2    -1    0     1     2     3     4
5    6    7

      SPO                      1.0  0.5  2.0  1.5  0.5  1.5  2.0  1.0
      TOT                      1.0  0.5  2.0  1.5  0.5  1.5  2.0  1.0

Detailed observation

Time         Mag       Speed       Shw        Remarks

23 h 19    +0           30°/s        SPO*      Hit the radiant of June
Lyrids, but too.
23 h 42    +5            5°/s         SPO
23 h 50    -2           35°/s         SPO        Hit the Xi-Draconid
radiant, but too fast.
00 h 04    +0.5        3°/s          SPO*      Hit the Xi-Draconid
radiant, but too far.
00 h 20     +4          6°/s          SPO*
00 h 23    +4          15°/s         SPO
00 h 25    +1          20°/s         SPO*
00 h 29    +3          25°/s         SPO
00 h 34   +2.5        25°/s         SPO
00 h 48    -0.5       30°/s          SPO