[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June 26/27 Bootids..

Greetings all,

Was unable to stay up all last night to do visual observing... so ran a
series of photo exposures with my camera from the window ledge of my
apartment, from 5 UT to 8 UT.

Equipment used was as follows:  Minolta SRT101 camera, 55mm lens at f1.7,
Kodak 320T film (high speed tungsten).

Exposures were shortened around the time of the suspected possible peak,
when I also kept an eye out for visual meteors in the field.  In the 30-40
minutes I watched visually around 7 UT, activity seemed very slow - I saw
no meteors of any kind at all.  Did see several satellites, and lots of
fireflies.

Sky conditions, although a bit hazy I thought, were decent.  While doing
casual visual around the suspected peak time, I could see the summer Milky
Way down to the trees at my horizon, with a nice bright Scutum cloud.  If
there had been any outburst in meteor activity, the sky conditions were
such that I would have at least seen something!   The film will go in for
developing this week, but I do not expect June Bootids on it.

As an aside, there was one amusing moment about 7.15 UT.  I was watching
out the window while running camera... and the radio came on with a song
version I had never heard before.  To the tune of 'Bye, bye, American Pie',
the words went something like 'Bye bye to that Annikin guy... I wanna be a
Jedi'.  Wonderful Star Wars adaptation of the original song!  It was on
some obscure AM station in New York City that my night reception picked up.

Hey, even if I didn't see any June Bootids... the Milky Way down my window,
and that wonderful little Jedi song really made my night! ;>

Clear skies,
- Cathy Hall
   south of Ottawa, Canada