[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation June 17/18 2001

On June 17/18, I observed for 2 hours teff. The sky at Casselman was
much better and the Milky Way was impressive right down into
Sagittarius. Limiting magnitude reached 6.4 and it was a slightly
cooler night. Meteor activity was fairly low with only 12 meteors
recorded.

Another nice June Lyrid was seen... a blue magnitude -1 near Delphinus.

There was a nice moderately active aurora after midnight. A few
blue-green curtains and some faint spikes extending up to 50 degrees
high. It seemed to intensify slightly later at night, but did not
affect the quality of the southern sky. At 5:19UT, saw a rapidly
tumbling satellite.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 17/18 2001
BEGIN: 4:00 UT (0:00 EDT)  END: 6:10 UT (2:10 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation:100m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: 3-letter code;    		 	radiant position
              	SAG (Sagittarids)			18h30 -22
		JLY (June Lyrids)			18h30 +35
		XDR (Xi Draconids)			18h30 +55
		TOP (Theta Ophiuchids)			16h50 -17

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)   FIELD   	Teff   F     LM    SPO SAG XDR JLY TOP
4:00-5:02    16h30 +21	1.01  1.00  6.40    4   1   0   1   0
5:02-6:10    18h01 +21	1.11  "	    6.45    4   1   1   0   0
TOTALS:              	2.12		    8   2   1   1   0  =  12
The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(F) is for sky obstructions (clouds, buildings, ect). No obstructions
= 1.00 but any obstructions will make this number slightly higher.
The 5th column (LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude,
determined by triangle star counts. All following columns indicate
the number of meteors for each shower observed.

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER -1   0  +1  +2  +3  +4	AVERAGE

SPO     0   0   0   1   2   5  	+3.5
SAG     0   0   0   1   0   1	+3.0
XDR     0   0   0   0   0   1	+4.0
JLY     1   0   0   0   0   0	-1.0
-----------------------------
TOTALS: 1   0   0   2   2   7
-----------------------------
Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball.  The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average for showers.

SKY OBSCURED:
None

Dead time (amount of time spent not looking up): 2.74 minutes for
plotting meteors

Breaks: none