[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) What will the 2004 June Bootid be?

>   Just a strange question. We knew the shower of June Bootids
> have broken out in 1921 and 1927. That means the second outburst
> happened  6 years later than the first one.

I took a quick look at Gary Kronk's pages. In 1916 there was a strong
display too.

> And it also broke out in 1998. Then, 6 years later, in the June of 2004,
> what will we see in the sky? An outburst again, or nothing?

The years 1916, 1921 and 1927 all marked a perihelion return for the comet
Pons-Winecke that is associated with the June Bootids. The year 1998 did
not, the previous return was in 1996.

The June Bootids were very weak in 1995 and in 1997, I don't know about
1996.

The comet will return in 2002. I guess it's worth watching the meteors the
next three years.

Daniel