[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June [26/27] Bootid Activity From Michigan USA

June 28, 2001

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

I would like to report my meteor hunting results for
the June Bootids that was recorded on the night of
June 26/27.  Nevertheless, I apologize if my data is
not in the preferred form, as I am still quite new to
this fascinating hobby.  Also, I have not subscribed
to meteorobs as of yet.

I began meteor hunting at 11:10 p.m. (EDT) and ended
at 12:11 a.m.  The night sky was stunningly clear,
(for a change) besides a slight amount of haze.  The
limiting magnitude of the night sky is hard to say,
but I would estimate it to be in the range of 4.5.  No
outburst was noticed, but I did see a meteor zip
through the sky at about 11:57 p.m. very close to the
June Bootid radiant. It lasted a mere 3/4 of a second
or so, and appeared to have traveled approximately 30
degrees (above and probably past the Big Dipper).  I
estimate its magnitude to be around 1.5.  To me it
seemed a little too fast to be a June Bootid.  The
meteor also had a fairly good-size tail before its end
point.

Enjoy,

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA