[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AMS Web site down?

I beg everyone's pardon for this off-topic problem message, but I'm
kind of cut off from the AMS Web sites right now.  I wrote:

> I'm getting "403 Forbidden" errors on the AMS Web site
> and the AMS mirror of the IMO Web site:
>
> http://www.amsmeteors.org/
> http://www.amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/

Thanks to Michael Boschat for his reply.  Apparently no one else,
outside of Univ. of Texas at Austin at least, is having any problems.
The UT Austin system administrators have told me that it appears that
www.amsmeteors.org has blocked the utexasdot edu domain!  I'm not sure
that my message to Mr. Richardson at AMS got through.  The local
sysadmins said to tell AMS site admin that UT Austin has a dedicated
web-caching system that might appear to be a "bot" to a Web server's
security system.  Anyway, this is a plea for "Help!", as I really
would like to be able to visit the AMS Web sites!!

Thank you everyone very much for your patience.

By the way, I believe there's at least a remote chance that Rosely
Gregio's sighting -- depending on various factors of course -- might
have been a "flashing geosynch" or other high-altitude, slow-moving
flashing satellite.  I'm uncertain, however, if any of them would be
bright enough to be observed against the gibbous Moon.

Mid-northern hemisphere Folks who haven't tried to see comet C/2001
A2 (LINEAR) really ought to give it a try.  I saw it this morning
from the parking lot outside my apartment -- not a good observing
site! -- and quite a few members of the local astronomy club have
seen it now also.  It's getting quite high in the sky for our area
at least.  The gibbous Moon is a bit of a problem but is still on
the opposite side of the sky.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html