[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) meteors from Zambia, June 14 - June28

I got back 1 week ago, from the solar eclipse in Zambia.  I ran into Olivier
Staiger in Lusaka/Hotel Intercontinental, who brought along someone he met on his
flight to Lusaka.  He was a member of the DMS (Dutch Meteor Society), & I gave him
a ride to the train station (for his trip to Livingstone).  Do any of the DMS
members on the list, know his name?  I need it for my eclipse report.

I have (tentative) pictures of my eclipse trip at:

http://www.comet-track.com/eclipse/secl01/secl01.html

Can people link to this site?  (your readers should find it interesting, including
the meteor observations).  I don't do a very good job of promoting my site (since
I spend most of my time, on my technical program).

I had 10 out of 14 nights of nighttime sky viewing!  At night, the clouds clear
away.  It was always clear, except for a couple nights in Botswana (moving
clouds).  I saw many meteors!  One was a -1 fireball, that left a
persistent-train.  I got a couple bright ones, within my 10x50 binoculars also.  I
even spotted a mag 2 comet near Comet A2 Linear, on one night.  I planned to bring
a 2nd equatorial mount, for all night piggyback wide-angle astrophotography (incl
meteor patrol).  I didn't bring it, due to baggage restrictions (last minute
decision).  Otherwise, I would have had meteor pics for sure.  Bummer.

I need some tips from Southern Sky observers, on aligning to the South Celestial
Pole.  (there are various techniques)  I never did do it right.  (tried to find
Sigma Octans, without success).  I didn't bring my illuminated-reticle eyepiece to
do a drift alignment.

B Yen