[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT: Film for comet photos

Greetings,

Bob Warren asked:

>What is the high speed tungsten film that you use???

Kodak Ektachrome 320T.

It's a colour slide film, balanced for tungsten light as opposed to
daylight.  It is not recommended for meteor work - most meteor work tends
to be black and white.  It is also not recommended for comet shots if you
want what people accept as realistic colour.

Tungsten film is great for copying prints.   Having some in the fridge a
number of years back, I decided to try it for astro shots, and found that
it tends to work very well for comets.  If you are near a city, it changes
the sky tones to blue, and eliminates the awful green and brown skies of
light polluted areas.  It tones down moonlight.  It brings out comet tails
very nicely, and will pick up tail in situations where daylight films have
problems.  The tungsten film is also much more forgiving as regards sky
fogging.  With that said, for major comets I will run a number of types of
film, both daylight and tungsten balanced.

I don't use filters.  I just enjoy pushing the limits of obscure types of
film - and comets are one of my favorite subjects.

Clear skies,
- Cathy Hall
   south of Ottawa, Canada

Follow-Ups: References: