[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT: Film for comet photos

Regarding color balance, this may have been an issue in the past,
but these days with most photos prepared in digital form for posting
on websites and so on, the overall color balance of a particular film
is largely irrelevant. Most image processing application, like
Photoshop for instance, allows you to adjust the various color
levels to achieve basically a perfect balance from any raw image,
as well as enhance every subtle detail.

The real issue is to choose a film with very fine grain, high
resolution and good reciprocity characteristics. One such film is
Kodak Royal Gold 200. The 400 speed version is grainier, but still
can be enhanced to yield a decent image. You can see my result
with this film of the Comet LINEAR at:

http://www.qsldot net/ah6l/A2_image.html

Its a 5min exposure with normal 50mm lens and shows about 8° of
tail after processing in Photoshop. The raw image is pretty cruddy,
I can email it to anyone interested in the comparison!

Mike Linnolt
Hawaiian Astronomical Society