[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT: Film for comet photos

It is interesting that some people are using such software packages as
"photshop".  However, in cometary astronomy, there are two basic problems in
doing so.  The first is if you manipulate the color of the image, you could
be losing valuable information.  The color of the comets tail, or coma, or
even nuclear region are indicative of what parent moecules are being
released from the nucleus.  The Color response of the film can detect only
certain molecules, because each and evey molecule can only emit certain
wavelengths of light, or spectral lines.  So the color response of the film
is very important.  It is obvious that you do have some understanding of the
problems with grain.  However, with the newer color films as with the older
versions, grain is not a factor considered in a color film, since the latent
image taken upon exposure, is replaced by chemical dyes during the
development process.  (Reference any Kodak color film manual, or data
sheet.)  The second problem to manipulating the image is, are you bringing
out an image that you want to see or is it the image that is really there.
If you read any book that deals with the conversion of an image from a
photographic print or negative, or slide (positive), you  expose so that you
do not expose for the same periods of time that you would if you were just
after a photographic print.  Sure you can push or pull an image.  But you
lose imformation.  So how sure are we that the image that you manipulate is
what was actually there?  Not very sure at all, if you were to study what
the professional astronomers are saying.  Even they post raw images plus the
processed image, but they are very seldom manipulating the color.  R. Warren