[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Comet film

    I have experienced very good results with a professional slide film made by Kodak. It is called Ektachrome P1600 (designation: EPH).  IT can be processed at a film speed of 800, 1600, or 3200. I have processed all of mine at ASA 1600. I got excellent results from Comet Hale-Bopp on the deck of a moving cruise ship in the Carribean (gyro stabalized) in the 10 to 15 second exposure range. On dry land in April (after perihelion) I obtained nice images from a tripod with 20 second exposures (30 sec. using a 28mm).
I photographed the outburst of the Leonid shower in 1998 using guided exposures of 1 to 3 min. from a dark sky site near San Antonio. The best image can be seen on p. 140 of the Feb. 1999 issue of Sky & Tel.  The reproduction there is only ok. The original is much better.
This film is generally available in professional camera stores. Some stores require a block purchase (20 rolls) but I have found some stores in the Dallas area that will sell individual rolls.
Tom