[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Early Perseid possible now?

In a message dated 7/13/01 3:55:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
brodwcjj@integrityonline.com writes:

<< I saw a ~mag 0 meteor that reminded me of a Perseid in it's speed and
 appearance on 7/10/01 at about 3:10am local Portland Oregon USA time.
  However the path of the meteor did not trace back directly into the
 constellation Perseus.
  Is it possible to see a Perseid this early? If so, is there a star map
 available that would show the radiant position for 7/10/2001 ? >>

According to the IMO the first date for the PER is 7/15 and the radiant is
near the star zeta Cass.
I guess even if you back up the drift position the radiant would be in the
area between Cass., Lacerta, and Cepheus. The radiant is not near Perseus
until August.

KK