[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The ongoing importance of visual observing (was Re: LINEARID meteor shower in July?)

>But, just like LINEAR put comet hunters out of business, this is
>doubtless the beginning of the end for visual meteor observing :(

Mike, this particular topic has been hashed out at some length in
at least what *I* took away from all those discussions, was:

1) Automated video meteor systems really are a wonderful, powerful
addition to the meteor observing arsenal.

2) Until the time when there is at least one working video system
operating in every gore of longitude (and a variety of latitudes),
every night of every year, establishing a baseline of many years'
worth of video meteor data, there will continue to be a vital role
for visual meteor observers to play. What is more, there is still
room for improvement in video system resolution, and so telescopic
meteor plotting may also continue to add value for many years yet.

Clear skies, and DEFINITELY "keep looking up"!

Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: