[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) South Iota Aquarids

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Robert Lunsford wrote:

> I read Rob's message and data for July 17 with great interest. I was
> somewhat surprised to see the South Iota Aquarids producing such strong
> rates at this early date. For visual observers this shower does not
> reach a ZHR of 1 until July 25 and a peak ZHR of 2 on August 4. To
> produce rates averaging 2.2 per hour on July 17 with some cloud
> interference this shower must be faint or the activity dates need to be
> updated.

The showers listed do not include the antihelion radiant, which would be
confused with the SIAs; thus these are bunched.  The observed rates (of
about 25% the SPOs) are the same as the SAGs of the last couple of months.
Note that you cannot directly compare hourly rates (in a 13 deg field of
view with lim mag of +9) with visual observations.  This is the point I made
earlier about the continued importance of visual observations.  With the
various Aquarid and Capricornid radiants passing within 20 deg of overhead
this certainly makes my latitude (31S) a good spot for meteors in July!

Cheers, Rob