[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Fireball activity increase?

Subject: (meteorobs) Re: Fireball activity increase?

    For fireball activity data, I suggest you refer to the paper, Detailed
Data for 259 Fireballs from the Canadian Camera Network and Inferences
Concerning the Influx of Large Meteoroids by Ian Halliday, Arthur A. Griffin
and Alan T. Blackwell, published in MAPS (Meteoritics) Vol 31, No.2. March
1996.  The camera network known as MORP was in operation from 1974 March 29
to 1985 March 31.  Approximately 900 fireballs were recorded during this
period.  Table I lists the distribution of 754 fireballs by day of the year.
Increased activity is indicated for major meteor shower periods.  January,
August, October, November and December indicate higher fireball rates.
April, May and June have decreased activity.  Weather may be a contributing
factor but I haven't checked this out.  Similar data probably exists for the
Prairie and European Fireball Networks.

Ed Majden