[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations July 21/22 (RBK)

Hi!

   I observed yesterday with Javor and Jure from a new location, Jezerski
Vrh (Lake Peak). It is located at 1540m (5100ft) elevation and offers very
dark skies. So far it's the best location I've been to. Last night was
only slighly above average and LM reached +7.3. In spite of high summer
here and high temperatures during the day, it was bitterly cold and the
wind was blowing like a hurricane. I was chilled to the bone.
   The sky started at LM +7.1 at 20:40 UTC with 20% cloud cover. I could
observe for one hour during which LM improved to +7.2, but unfortunately
cloud cover increased and I was forced to take a break, during which I
observed comet A2 LINEAR with 7x50B and the naked eye. There was a short
clearing around 23:00 UTC during which LM reached +7.3, but it lasted only
13 minutes. There was another similar clearing later in the morning, but
the sky was already becoming brighter and I was getting sleepy. All in
all, the sky was excellent; M33 was visible with direct vision.
   Meteors are, however, a completely different story. Most were faint,
the peak in magnitude distribution is at +5m! The highlight was a -1m
yellow Perseid with a 2 second train. No fireballs this time. I hope we'll
be able to go to this location more frequently since it offers skies
almost half a magnitude darker than Mariboska Koca.

The summary:
Period		F	teff	LM	PER	CAP	AQU	Spor
20:40-21:45UT	1.04	1.12	7.16	3	0	0	32
22:46-22:59UT	1.11	0.27	7.28	0	0	0	3
00:44-01:01UT	1.15	0.22	6.94	1	0	0	5

Magnitude distribution:
Spor:	 0(1) +2(3.5) +3(7) +4(8.5) +5(12) +6(7)
PER:	-1(1)  0(1) +2(1) +5(0.5) +6(0.5)

Clear skies!

Jure A.

P.S. - for my IMO report I'll dump the last two periods.