[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMC 2001

Hi folks, Mihaela asked me to forward that msg to that list!
I hope some of you will still think about and join us in September.

Clear skies
Jure

INTERNATIONAL METEOR CONFERENCE – IMC2001
Cerkno, Slovenia, September 20-23, 2001
IMC2001 Newsletter, No. 3, July 21, 2001
Dear friends,

The deadline for the first registration has already
passed, but the registration is still possible. The
participation fee is now 240 DEM.

1. REGISTRATON
You should register as soon as possible to the local
organisers (mtriglav@yahoo.com) and pay the
registration fee to the IMO treasurer Ina Rendtel. You
can find registration form in the WGN 1-2 or at the
web page http://www2.arnesdot si/~sopezakr/IMC2001. There
you can find also further instructions how to pay the
registration fee.

2. PARTICIPANTS
At the moment we have 54 registered participants (in
this number the local organisers aren’t included).
They come from Germany (10), Bulgaria (8), Romania
(8), Poland (5), Belgium (4), the Netherlands (3),
Ukraine (3), Argentina (3), Canada (1), Switzerland
(1), Yugoslavia (1), Croatia (1), UK (1), Austria (1),
India (1), China (1), Japan (1), Slovenia (1).

3. EXCURSION
We can reveal the destination of the Saturday
excursion at IMC2001. We will visit the Postojna cave.
Slovene speleologist Luka Cec discovered the most
interesting passages and galleries of Postonja cave in
1818. In 1872 the tourist train began to operate.
It is the most visited cave in Europe and the biggest
cave in the original Karst (all other landscapes in
the world with a lot of limestone and caves got the
name after it). The cave is over 20 km long. As
tourist we will see 5200 meters of it: 3500 by tourist
train and 1700 by foot. In Postojna cave we will see
the biggest Slovenian endemic cave animal (it is the
biggest European vertebrate cave animal too) the
Proteus anguinus. Slovenian historian Valvasor first
described it as a cub of the "cave dragon" in the year
1668.

4. FURTHER INFORMATION
Further information how to come to Slovenia can be
found on the home page mentioned above. If you have
any questions on which you do not know the answer, you
can freely ask the organisers. We will try to answer
on all your questions. If you need a visa (the letter
of recommendation) get in contact with Mihaela Triglav
as soon as possible.

Best wishes and good luck with summer meteor streams,

Mihaela Triglav
local organising committee chairman