[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Cygnids this year?

> The radiant is near the star 33 Cyg (a=312, d=+55),
> ZHR about 10-15, velocity about 45; and the shower is active in
> these days. Also, Valentin Grigore announced another posible
> radiant, near 28 Cyg (a=305, d=+36).

Meng, I got in about two hours of meteor watching last Friday night, with
fellow New England observer Rachel Aubuchon. I was watching for the "alpha
Cygnid" meteor shower (mentioned in Bob Lunsford's Weekly Meteor Outlook),
and I saw just one candidate within the period 0500-0700 UT. (This was for
an assumed radiant of 20:24 +47:00, about midway between the two radiants
mentioned in that post from Radu Gelu-Claudiu, and at very similar speed.)

Considering the likelihood of "sporadic pollution", this is probably the
same as saying that I failed to detect the presence of the alpha Cygnids.
Of course, we may only just be entering the activity period of these two
potential showers - so they may still bear watching this week and next...

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer (GRALE)
Medford MA USA