From: Larry Geary <larry.geary@...> on 07/23/2001 09:05:53 PM
Subject:  FW: Major Bolide in Northeast US? - Update

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tony Cecce [mailto:ACECCE1@stny.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 7:43 PM
To: Astronomy List
Subject: Re: Major Bolide in Northeast US? - Update

My phone has been ringing off the hook.  My mother was outside, she didn't
see the meteor itself but did see the landscape briefly brighten then heard
two sharp booms.  The booms were quite unlike thunder, she thought there
was a car accident.

Another observer in Corning saw it "hit a hill" in the southwest, assuming
the boom was the sound of impact.

The TV just flashed across the bottom of the screen that law enforcement
agencies have received meteor sitings from Northeast  New York deep into
Pennssylvania.

Quite a few of the calls I have received were from people who were scared
by the close call.  I have assured them not to worry, you won't hear the
one that gets you. ;-)

Tony