[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Self-introduction; meteor photography question

I'm new to the list, just got turned onto this via a college Astronomy
class. I live in Logan,Utah (Utah State University), and went out for the
first time last week. Limiting magnitude was quite good though I'm a rank
amateur, the milky way was bright as heavy clouds. I photographed using a
Pentax K-1000 50mm/f2, 5-15min.exp. Tri-X 3200 pushed 1 stop making it
1600(still trying to figure out why Kodak does that!)I didn't feel so bold
to turn in an official report of observations, but saw 3 or so Perseids and
a few going the other direction (towards Cassiopeia) from Capricorn.
Hopefully they turn out okay. Well I'll not tie up this list with any more
unnecessary posts, but I also have a quick question that probably can be
answered in many ways. I have been looking for a good film. My limiting
magnitude I figure is going to be high up here in the Rockies way away from
any towns. I have read for and against the characteristic of reciprocity
failure and for/against color slide vs. B&W print etc. How much usefulness
(scientifically) will I lose shooting in color? I figure on going the color
slide route and at least for the Perseids/Leonids shooting high speed like
1600-3200 keeping exposures down to a few minutes max except for
experimentation. That's it, thanks and happy trails!

------- End of Forwarded Message